It’s June. And you know what that means: it’s time for the Mid-Year Marketing Checkup.
What? You never heard of the Mid-Year Marketing Checkup?
Well, just let me place this stethoscope to your chest. Breathe in. Now breathe out and I’ll tell you more.
Most of our health care marketing clients are on a fiscal budget year calendar—for example, they begin their new fiscal budget year October 1 and end their budget year on September 30. But as humans, we’re conditioned to work in seasons: winter, spring, summer and fall. And if you’re reading this in California and don’t have traditional seasons, then you can appreciate the sense of starting over January 1st.
And that leads me to the Mid-Year Marketing Checkup and the reason we find it so essential to success.
Because we’re fanatical about delivering results—and a little impatient when it comes to making progress for our clients—we design our campaigns to elicit real-time feedback on performance. Yet we’re also big advocates of pausing during the work year to reflect on our overall progress. That’s the Mid-Year Marketing Checkup in a nutshell: a time to assess how the daily and weekly efforts are working together with big ideas and strategic aims—to deliver those measurable results that align with your goals and values. So let’s get started.
Assess your strategies
Now that you’ve spent half the calendar year executing your marketing strategies, ask yourself: how are you doing?
- Are you on track or off track?
- What successes have you counted?
- What failed?
- What needs improvement?
- Go back to your annual plan: Have you stayed on track with your plan or veered off track?
- Did other priorities get in the way of the priorities you set for the year?
The value: a chance to finish strong
We love the Mid-Year Marketing Checkup because it gives health care marketers time to finish what they started. And if your annual plan looks nothing at all like what you’ve spent the last six months working on, then you have time to double down on your key areas of focus.
This isn’t to say that pivots are bad things. Things change. Priorities change. Maybe the strategy you wrote six months ago isn’t relevant today.
During your Mid-Year Marketing Checkup, you can document what must happen, by when, for the remainder of your calendar year.
Because as Ben Franklin once said, “A failure to plan is a plan for failure.”
If you haven’t been doing what you know you should be doing to move your organization forward, this is your time to realign your focus and execute.
Here are 4 tips to help you finish the year strong:
1. Focus on fewer things to commit more resources to—for better results.
2. Identify the progress metrics you want to track and hit, so you know you’re on course or need to adjust your strategies.
3. Get buy-in from leadership and other stakeholders. With half the year gone, you don’t need “left-field” requests to slow your progress.
4. Ask for help. If you have a specialized need, find the specialists who can help you execute. (Especially because you don’t have time to waste!)
The Mid-Year Marketing Checkup is a great way to realign yourself with your marketing goals and strategies. Schedule your checkup today—so you can end the year strong!