Let’s start with what copywriting is—in general.
Copyblogger defines it this way, “Copywriting is the art of strategically delivering words that move people to take some form of action.” I like the words “move people” and “action” in this definition.
As a writer, I always want my words to have impact—to move people. And when I’m writing copy for our Hailey Sault clients, I want people to take action by clicking, subscribing, making an appointment, joining their mailing list, diving deeper into their website, attending an event, participating in an initiative or making a donation.
What healthcare copywriting is and why it’s different.
Unlike some copywriting that can be hard sell or aggressive in order to push a product, healthcare writing must be persuasive while speaking to its audience about intimate subjects—things they don’t want to think about or talk about like incontinence, cancer, obesity, chronic disease or preventive screenings like mammograms or colonoscopies.
Make no mistake; healthcare copywriting shouldn’t be passive. Instead of “selling” a product, healthcare writing needs to “inspire” its audience to click, subscribe or make an appointment. And it must do its job successfully because people’s health and well-being depends on it.
What makes great healthcare copywriting?
Great healthcare copy is personal, it attracts its audience and engages their sustained attention, it:
- is born out of listening to what people need, what they dream about, hope for, fear
- is a conversation
- doesn’t use jargon
- is to the point
- anticipates readers’ questions and concerns
- convinces people to think and take action
At the same time, it must:
- build your brand
- enhance your reputation
- improve awareness
- increase patient trust and loyalty
- grow your patient base and revenue
How to get great healthcare copy:
Getting great healthcare copy doesn’t start with a copywriter who knows the “right words,” it starts with understanding people, knowing who they are and what will make them not only turn to you when they need you, but fall in love with you.
Of course, you know I’m going to tell you that you can get great healthcare writing here at Hailey Sault. That’s a given. But before the writing we do for you can make your audience fall in love, we need to know a few things from you, like:
- What’s the number one thing you want people to take away after they read your copy?
- How do you want them to feel?
- What do you want them to do—click, call, make an appointment, donate?
- Where can they go for more information?
- Can we interview anyone—patient, physician, nurse—to gain more insight?
- Why are you better at this than any other provider?
Great copy goes along with great design, great strategy and great media placement. It all works together to get you great results and you can get it all here—it’s part of what we do best.